Garden of the Gods Visitor Center reopens, but major renovations not quite doneAfter being closed for major renovations from Oct. 1 to Nov. 16, the Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center, 1850 N. 30th St., plans a low-key reopening… because more renovations are coming.
However, according to center spokesperson Dolores Davis, “we do not anticipate any further closings to the public. As exhibits are completed they will open. We plan on these exhibits coming online April 2015 with all exhibits completed for our 20th anniversary celebration May 15.”
Here's a list of normal Visitor Center offerings and what visitors can expect with the reopening (quotes are from Davis):
- Guided walks - 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. (weather permitting), starting from the Perkins Central Garden Trail Head at the north main parking lot off Juniper Way Loop.
- Parking lot - It is open and has been “reconfigured to allow for additional parking at the north side of the building, and bus parking spots have been moved to the southwest parking quadrant.”
- Building access - Only through the south entrance and south stairs, with elevator access available through the lower level.
- Presentations - “Inter-mittent due to space constraints. We have a daily board that we post for visitors. The touch tables will be out periodically as well.”
- Theater - Regular schedule for “How Did Those Red Rocks Get There?” video (every 20 minutes in the Red Rocks Room - $4 for adults, $2 for children).
- Cafeteria - “Limited access but beverages and snacks will be available for purchase. As café construction is completed we will return to normal operations.
- Gift store - Reno-vations are complete and the store is fully operational.
The Visitor Center is owned by the Garden of the Gods Foundation, a nonprofit that gives a portion of its earnings to the city for improvements of the Garden, which is a city park. The renovation project is upgrading most elements of the two-story structure, which opened in 1995.
For more information, call 219-0108.
Westside Pioneer article