Fire drives Westsiders from home

       An apparently forgotten candle started a fire that caused an estimated $60,000 damage in a house at 2312 W. Platte Ave. Nov. 29, according to the Colorado Springs Fire Department.
       There were no injuries to the two residents - the mother who owns the house and her 21-year-old daughter. But the house, with extensive burns in the front room (where the candle had been) and smoke damage throughout, is currently uninhabitable. The mother and daughter are staying now with friends and probably will eventually be provided with alternate quarters through insurance, fire spokesman Lt. Glenn Conklin said.
       Firefighters were on the scene in three minutes, according to Conklin, which helped contain the fire. An engine each from Stations 3 and 5 and a ladder truck from Station 1 responded.
       The daughter was listening to music in a back room, then became aware of the fire at about 5 p.m., Conklin said.
       Conklin thanked the neighbors for their help on an “extremely cold night.”
       He added that the house had no smoke detectors. They “would have really helped” in preventing the fire, he said.

Westside Pioneer article from a press release