Bancroft Park to have a musical summer
Bancroft Park will be a busy venue for live music and square dancing this summer.
The venue at Colorado Avenue and 24th Street will be used for 18 concerts in all, including the return of Colorado Springs Parks' “Paint the Town Blue” and Floyd Frame's traditional “Soft Summer Nights” series.
There will be five square dance nights - one featuring the Waggin Wheelers Square Dance Club and four led by area caller Merell Folsom.
Frame's Concert Band performed in the Bancroft bandshell June 6 and will be back Wednesday, June 13, with his Jazz Ensemble scheduled Thursday, June 7 and 14. One-hour concerts by these groups will continue Wednesday and Thursday nights at 7 p.m. through June; Frame will return with his Midland Brass Band for the last two nights of the series Aug. 7 and 21.
This is the second straight year for the blues series, which is put on in conjunction with the volunteer Pikes Peak Blues Community. The series will get underway Thursday, June 28 with Peter Burg & Blue Suburban at 5:30 p.m. In case of rain, the back-up venue will be the Thunder & Buttons restaurant/tavern across the street at 2415 W. Colorado Ave.
Additional Bancroft concert nights will be July 3 (old-time music for Independence Day), and Aug. 8 (one of the concerts in City Parks' “Jazz In The Parks” summer series).
Following is the complete Bancroft schedule, as provided on the City Parks website.
“Soft Summer Nights” (all starting at 7 p.m.):
- June 6 - The Concert Band
- June 7 - The Jazz Ensemble
- June 13 - The Concert Band
- June 14 - The Jazz Ensemble
- June 20 - The Concert Band
- June 21 - The Jazz Ensemble
- June 27 - The Concert Band
- August 7 - The Midland Brass Band
- August 21 - The Midland Brass Band
“Paint the Town Blue” (all starting at 5:30 p.m.):
- June 28 - Peter Burg & Blue Suburban
- July 5 - Plastic Mojo Plus
- July 12 - John-Alex Mason
- July 19 - Brickyard Band
- July 26 - Lethal Lisa McCall Band
- August 2 - George Whitesell & His All-Stars featuring Jill Watkins
- August 9 - Big Sky
- August 16 - Little Ricky & the Roosters
Square dancing events:
- June 29, from 6 to 10 p.m., Lyn Hale and the Waggin Wheelers Square Dance Club. (471-1814).
- July 20 and 27, and Aug. 3 and 10, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., “Square Dancing in the Park,” led by Merell Folsom (630-2240).
- “An Old Fashioned Fourth of July in Bancroft Park,” featuring the Pikes Peak Musicians Association Band, July 3 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- The Steve Draper Group, as part of the “Jazz In The Parks” Series, Aug 8, at 6 p.m, in co-operation with the Pikes Peak Jazz and Swing Society.
For more information, call Colorado Springs Parks at 385-6581 or, on the web, open springsgov.com, then go to the City Parks site and click the icon for the Summer Concert Series.
Westside Pioneer article