Concrete fixed around historic marker on Pikes Peak Avenue

       The area around the historic stone marker at 2818 W. Pikes Peak Ave. was getting a little too historic, so the city recently spruced up the concrete around it.

Fresh concrete, laid by city crews, surrounds the historic marker in front of the house at 2818 W. Pikes Peak Ave. The marker describes the era in the 1860s when the location was a stockade that early Colorado City settlers used as a refuge in times of danger.
Westside Pioneer photo

       Nowadays, the marker is in front of an ordinary-looking house, but once it was the fortified two-story, log-built Anway Hotel, in which early settlers sought refuge when there were threats from the sometimes-hostile Plains Indians.
       Dated 1936, the marker's plaque reads: “This marks the site of the old fort and stockade built by pioneers of Colorado City used in defense against the Indians in 1861 and 1868, constructed of logs set end on end.”
       According to Matt Mayberry, the city's Cultural Services director, “We had been approached by someone in the neighborhood many months ago about the condition around the marker. It looks like they (a city street crew) did a beautiful job.”
       The plaque states that the marker had been erected by the State Historical Society of Colorado, the Mrs. J.N. Hall Foundation, the El Paso County Pioneers Association and the City of Colorado Springs.
       The decade of the 1860s, in terms of relations between settlers and the Plains Indians (who believed they had rights under an earlier treaty) “was a very tense time,” Mayberry said. He added that several regional-history writers have cited the Anway Hotel's role, including Irving Howbert, Debbie Abel and Dorothy Aldridge.
       The Anway “became a fortification against the Indians because of its commanding view of the surrounding area,” Aldridge writes in her 1996 book, “Historic Colorado City: The Town with a Future.” “Fifteen-foot green pine logs, ten to fifteen inches in diameter, were cut and set on end close together in the ground. Occasionally a porthole was cut in the twelve-foot structure which formed a stockade around the building.”

Westside Pioneer article