Westside Community Center offers activities through summerThe Westside Community Center, which follows school schedules during the regular school year, is open through the summer on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Located at 1628 W. Bijou St. and managed by the service arm of the Woodmen Valley Chapel, the converted (former) Buena Vista school complex is free and open to the public, although there are fees for some classes and programs.
Here are some scheduled or ongoing activities/events:
- Second Saturday of the month through September, from 9 a.m. to noon - free repairs of recreational bicycles by volunteer specialists. Donations of bikes are also accepted.
- June 5, 12, 19 and 26 and July 10, from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. - free Summer Morning Fun interactive children's programs, organized by the Old Colorado City Library, with various performers/presenters.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 2:30 to 7 p.m. - the Fitness Center is open for free to the public. Center staffer Tracie Dear, a certified fitness trainer who also handles senior programming, recently took over the position. A range of equipment is available to any age group.
- Saturday, June 27, from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. - a free picnic event in partnership with the Old Colorado City Library, which will start with a performance of “Characters in Courage” by Beth Epley, and be followed by a picnic at noon.
- Through Aug. 14 – YMCA day camp. Selected times available. For more information, call 471-9790.
Westside Pioneer article