Cimarron bridge’s former EB lanes to get jack-hammer treatment

       Demolition work on the Cimarron Street bridge over Conejos Street and the railroad tracks will mean a full closure of the span between I-25 and Sierra Madre Street from 7 p.m. Friday, March 23 until 5 a.m. Monday, March 26 (pending the weather and train activity).
       The work was getting started March 21 with the removal of the south bridge deck (formerly the eastbound lanes), resulting in occasional one-lane operations up to March 23.
       During the full closure, northbound interstate motorists who would otherwise get off at Cimarron/ Highway 24 will be detoured onto Nevada Avenue, on which they can travel north to Cimarron Street. Eastbound traffic on the highway will be detoured onto southbound I-25 then to Exit 140.
       The Cimarron Street bridge will be demolished in the same manner as the Bijou Street bridge, using heavy equipment retrofitted with large hydraulic jack hammers and claws. The demolition activities will occur primarily during the day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
       During the demolition, the majority of traffic impacts will be on Conejos Street, not Cimarron, according to a press release from Rockrimmon Constructors, which is handling the demolition work. Currently, Conejos Street is closed but is expected to reopen by Easter for services in America the Beautiful Park.
       No demolition completion schedule has been announced. The cost is about $350,000.
       Planning for the eventual, estimated $6 million bridge reconstruction, City Engineering has previously gotten a 30 percent design plan from Rockrimmon Constructors and plans to hire another firm to accomplish the remaining 70 percent, then bid out the project work. The expected completion time frame is spring 2008,
       Other than occasional safety-related lane reductions, two lanes of traffic will continue over the north side of the bridge while the work is going on, according to city officials.

Westside Pioneer article