‘Celebration’ events to start with symposiums
Except where indicated, the following events are free and created/sponsored by the Garden of the Gods Foundation for its
Summer of Celebration, in an attempt to raise money from the community for the Garden of the Gods:
· April 18 and 25, May 2 (7 p.m. each night), A Decade of Discovery at the Garden of the Gods Symposium at Slocum Commons on the Colorado College Campus. Phone: 219-0108.
· April 18, “Messages from the Ancestors: Archaeological Evidence of Human Occupation in the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak Region,” presented by Bill Arbogust, Anthropology Department, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
· April 25, “Crocodiles in Colorado Springs: Using Local Fossils to Visualize Lost Worlds,” presented by Kirk Johnson, chief curator of paleontology, Denver Museum of Nature and Science.
· May 2, “Garden of the Gods: An Ecological Crossroads Under Threat,” presented by Jim Ebersole, Biology Department co-chair, Colorado College.
· May 6 (time TBD), Summer of Celebration Gala at the Garden of the Gods Club. Cost: $300 a person. Phone: 231-4279.
· May 7 (6-10 a.m.) Take 5 in the Garden Run & Walk in the Garden of the Gods Park (already-scheduled event). Fee to participate. Phone: 635-5347.
· May 7-8 (9 a.m.-5 p.m.) Summer of Celebration Open House at Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center. Volunteers needed. Phone: 219-0101.
· June 17 (start times 8 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.) Summer of Celebration Golf Tournament at the Kissing Camels Golf Club. $250 per person to participate. Phone: 955-0633.
· June 18 (midnight), Starlight Spectacular Bike Ride in the Garden of the Gods Park (already-scheduled event). Fee to participate. Phone: 635-5347.
· July 23 (9 a.m.-3 p.m.), Garden Tour & Lecture at Kissing Camels. Tour 5 gardens in the Kissing Camels estates. $25/person for tour; $75/person for tour and lunch with horticulturist Fawn Bell. Phone: 219-0101 (to volunteer) or 635-4036 (to register).
· August 19 (5:30-9 p.m.), Trails & Open Space Coalition's Gala in the Garden at Rock Ledge Ranch (already- scheduled event). Admission fee. Phone 219-0101.
Westside Pioneer article