What do you do?
Dave Carlock

Where do you work and what is your title?
       Liberty Tax Service on Uintah at 19th Street. I am the owner and general manager.
What do you do there and/or what are you responsible for?
       I prepare tax returns, hire the staff, supervise the marketing and select the costumed wavers.
How long have you been doing this kind of work (total)? How long on the Westside?
       This is my fifth season doing taxes and fourth year on the Westside.
What do you like best about it (other than quitting time)?
       I enjoy the people I serve and helping them with stressful situations. I consider many of them friends. I also enjoy the analytical part of the job, trying to apply the law and rules to real situations.
If you could change one thing (other than pay), what would it be?
       The IRS. Need I say more?
What part of your work did your training/education never prepare you for?
       I was a police officer for nearly 30 years and ended my career as a manager working with grants, budgets and fiscal issues. I also spent a lot of time working with odd situations and trying to find solutions. I hold a BA in criminal justice and a master’s in public administration. The time I spent working a public budget was great preparation for owning a small business. The real difference is scale. Managing a staff of 11 really isn’t much different than managing a staff of 100.
What makes working on the Westside special?
       I think the Westside is special because there is a real sense of community here. It seems that people like the quality of life on the Westside and tend to stay rather than move all over town. Because of that, they know each other and it feels safer than places where there are a lot of strangers. It’s like a small town inside a big city.

“What do you do?” is a regular feature in the Westside Pioneer. If you know someone who has an interesting job on the Westside (but doesn’t live here), he/she might be a candidate for this column! If you know someone who might qualify, give us a call at 471-6776.