Home Page

High winds: County emergency office lists sites to drop off slash, spoiled food

A worker uses a chainsaw in Fairview Cemetery to cut up a large tree that was felled by the high winds Jan. 9. According to a city press release after the windstorm, visitor access to both Fairview and Evergreen Cemetery was being denied to allow wind-damage cleanup.
Westside Pioneer photo
The El Paso County Office of Emergency Management has listed places to drop off spoiled food or debris resulting from the high winds Jan. 9.
       Bad food may be taken to El Paso County Household Hazardous Waste, 3755 Akers Drive (off Constitution Avenue, near Marksheffel Road), for free disposal. The phone is 520-7878.
       A press release states: “If your refrigerator was without power for two hours or more, check its contents. Discard any food that has been over 41 degrees for more than four hours or has an unusual odor, color or texture - or any food that looks suspicious.”
       Tree and vegetation debris (slash) may be taken to any of the following locations (costs as shown).
       - Rocky Top Recycling, 1775 E. Las Vegas St., 579-9103 ($10 per load weekdays; or free with non-perishable food donation on Saturdays only from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
       - Don's Garden Shop, at Platte and Powers, 591-1040 ($6 per cubic yard or $18 per truckload).
       - Pioneer Sand, on Vollmer Road, 495-8858 ($10 per load, any size).
       “Assistance is available for elderly, disabled, low-income, or special circumstances requiring help,” the press release adds. “Check with your insurance company first to see if damages are covered or assistance is provided. Call the El Paso County Office of Emergency Management at 575-8888 for more information.”
       UPDATE, 1/13/17: A press release from the City of Colorado Springs "urges the public to report downed or compromised city trees by calling or using the free GoCoSprings App [at coloradosprings.gov/gocosprings]. Trees that are blocking roads or other rights of ways may be reported to 719-385-ROAD. Trees in medians or parks areas may be reported to City Forestry at 719-385-5942."

From press releases
(Posted 1/12/17, updated 1/13/17; Community: Ongoing Issues)

Would you like to respond to this article? The Westside Pioneer welcomes letters at editor@westsidepioneer.com. (Click here for letter-writing criteria.)